Thursday 19 July 2018

MAHESH CHAUHAN - LEATHER CRAFT


''It will take many years to be named a Master Craftsman, but that is OK with me''


I am Mahesh, Founder of Parshotam and Sons Ltd.  Parshotam was my Grandfathers name, pronounced Pur-sho-tum. 



It is with his background and our ancestor’s heritage of being cobblers, known as Mochi's within the Gujarat, India, that has inspired me to be an owner and creator of a brand. 

I graduated in 2007 from Coventry University in Graphic Design. I worked within the Graphics industry for twelve years, owned a business in the field for two years, and in between went backpacking around the world to six different countries in a year.   

That journey was the most inspiring for me, seeing Mother Nature, such beautiful cultures and experiencing different lifestyles that are unimaginable from the concrete jungle that we live in today. Suddenly my desire to find job satisfaction was at the forefront of every thought, footstep and experience. Graphic Design was no longer for me.

I believe my hands were designed to physically draw on paper, cut with blades and stitch with needles to create what I can only say is the most soul satisfying notion called Leather Craft, one of a few names given artisans in the trade. 




Traditional craft meets modern sensibility ( below ).
Since 2013 I’ve learnt the skills of saddle stitching, cutting, dying, studying hides of leather and its properties, pattern making and all the techniques used in the process of crafting leather goods with traditional tools.

It will take many years to be named a Master Craftsman, but that is ok with me because being the best at something means you've stopped learning. Change is the constant.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.