Tuesday 24 July 2018

JOYCE TREASURE - MIXED MEDIA ARTIST

''a collection of mixed media drawings especially created for Birmingham Open Studios''



Having completed my first year as a mature student studying Black Studies at Birmingham City University, I feel the creative need to expand my studies into my artwork. 

Black identity is a theme that runs through my work, as I’m interested how as Black people we form a sense of who we are. 


Below: #7 in the Hymn series, graphite / mixed media / collage



Hymns is a collection of mixed media drawings especially created for Birmingham Open Studios: Portraits of civil right leaders and people that I have sourced from the internet have been drawn on to hymn pages. I use these portraits to splice cultural and iconic imagery together over symbols of power and hierarchy by using collage, graphite, ink and acrylic.

I am interested in making enquiries into our visual, historic backdrops; the examined and unexamined, the seen and the unseen. My work also uses symbols of colonialism to view how patriarchy often underpins and exploits society and how this too can influences our psyche.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.